Date:      24 Aug 2002 22:07:54 +0100
From:      Stacey Roberts <stacey@Demon.vickiandstacey.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   How do I include mod_auth_db with already existing / working apache? [WAS: mod_auth_db dir protection and apache]

--=-SBwOPciUaPIbi7oQEeej

Hi,
  Further to my earlier question, I figure I might as well check on
this. I ran the cmd below to determine whether or not I have mod_auth_db
set up in apache:

$ grep mod_auth_db httpd.conf
LoadModule db_auth_module     libexec/apache/mod_auth_db.so
AddModule mod_auth_db.c
$

So I figured that it appears to be there & was further convinced when
dbmmanage [file] adduser [username] worked first time.

Am I wrong in presuming that I *do* indeed have mod_auth_db compiled in
my apache?

Let me know if there's any further info I could provide, please.

Stacey
---

Hello,
     I'm trying to protect a dir using the mod_auth_db authentication
method with the latest apache-1.3. The actual dir contains the data logs
from webalizer ( that's got its own index.html file). Here's what I've
done (from http://httpd.apache.org/docs/howto/auth.html#authdbconfig):

Created the user file and test user
Created the .htaccess file and placed it in the dir under the
DocumentRoot dir

However, I find that I can simply type the full path to the "protected
dir's index.html file, and it still loads without prompting me for a
password.

From the above apache doc page, I couldn't have thought that this could
be any easier, but have I missed something here? Where have I gone wrong
over the few lines of instructions? Someone please help me.

Thanks
Stacey
--=20
Stacey Roberts