Date:      Sat, 20 May 2006 12:25:46 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jason Arnaute <non_secure@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Stress testing the UFS2 filesystem

> The issue that he is testing is how well the
filesystem behaves when
> you arbitrarily damage it and then run fsck
(ideally, fsck should
> detect all of the damage and repair it).  He seems
to have found cases
> where fsck does not detect and repair the damage,
leading to panics at
> runtime.

Heh.  You need to run a test to find out that bg fsck
causes problems ?  Here - I'll save you some time:

if involves_snapshots_in_any_way
then
  it's totally FUBAR
fi

Snapshots have _never_ been stable or suitable for
production.  Ever.  (going on 2+ years now...)

This wouldn't be such a problem, except that BG fsck,
turned on by default, ensures that all users of
FreeBSD, everywhere, are using snapshots, whether they
understand what a bad idea that is or not.

On the plus side, FreeBSD does have a nice new mascot
- see it's more shiny now.  See ?