Date:      Tue, 13 Mar 2001 22:27:03 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Greg Black <gjb@gbch.net>
Cc:        "David O'Brien" <TrimYourCc@NUXI.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Solution: Sendmail 8.11.3 on FreeBSD 4.2

On 14-Mar-01 Greg Black wrote:
> "David O'Brien" writes:
>
>| On Wed, Mar 14, 2001 at 12:27:02PM +1000, Greg Black wrote:
>| > This is the point where we disagree.  The information in this
>| > file is in fact of interest to somebody who does a fresh install
>| > from CD as the simple way to upgrade from an earlier release.
>|
>| Huh???  If you do a fresh install from CD, you will get a
>| sendmail+sendmail.cf+mail.local that are all in sync and setup properly.
>
> I'm sure that's true; my point was that you don't get the useful
> information that you pointed out in "/usr/src/UPDATING", since
> that file only gets installed in some situations.  I'm trying to
> make a case for that file (or the information it contains) to be
> part of every fresh install.

Er, and how does that help someone who cvsups a newer part of the tree and
doesn't get the newer UPDATING?  :)  UPDATING only makes sense within the
context it lives in right now.  If you install sbase (or maybe ssrc, whatever
the "base source" dist is) you should get this file during sysinstall with the
version applicable to that release.  I think what you want is probably that
some of the info in src/UPDATING be duplicated in the release notes, which is
where the info you are referring to really belongs.