Date:      Wed, 19 Jun 2002 14:14:18 -0700
From:      Jason DiCioccio <jd@epylon.com>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, Jan Lentfer <Jan.Lentfer@web.de>, <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Apache 1.3.26 port

I would consider this semi-correct, at least from my experience.  The data
directories ARE seperated out.  Notice that there is a data.default and a
cgi-bin.default which data and cgi-bin are linked to.  If you break the
data/cgi-bin symlinks and just mkdir data/mkdir cgi-bin, your data should
not be overwritten, it should only overwrite data.default.

If this is another issue, I haven't encountered it.

Cheers,
-JD-

On 6/19/02 2:10 PM, "Brett Glass" <brett@lariat.org> wrote:

> Yes, installing the new port will nuke all of your data.
 [snip]

> At 10:14 PM 6/18/2002, Jan Lentfer wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> i am new to this list, so I don't know if this is the right place for my
>> comment, so please be gentle ;-)
>>
>> After reading all the mail about the apache vulnerability, today I
>> installed the new 1.3.26 port. The compilation, etc. went clean, I also
>> had to reinstall mod_php4 and mod_fastcgi until I could make apache
>> start. Then I found that all my subdirectories in /usr/local/data/www
>> were gone (deleted)!! Luckily this was on my private machine! Is this a
>> normal behaviour? Anyway, it's good I know it now so I will for sure
>> backup the directorires on my production machines
[snip]