Date:      Sun, 23 Jan 2000 14:13:17 -0500 (EST)
From:      Donn Miller <dmmiller@cvzoom.net>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Moused hanging...

Hi, I've noticed a strange problem with vidcontrol and moused recently
with current.  I also had the same problem about 3 weeks back, and it
doesn't seem to be occurring all that regularly.

Here's what I was doing:  I had just exited out of X, XFree86 Version
3.9.17.  I had two sessions of bladeenc going simultaneously (if that even
matters).  I'm guessing maybe the issue is with the PCI bus being accessed
by moused and the ATA driver at the same time, since bladeenc does
generate some disk activity.  Anyway, I heard a `pop' through my speakers,
and at the same time, moused went dead.  I su'd to root, killed and
restarted moused.  I could not get my moused cursor back (tried vidcontrol
-m off ; vidcontrol -m on a couple of times).

The only way I could get moused to work again was to
reboot. (???)  Actually, this is a minor issue, but it is an
inconvenience, since I have to reboot to get vidcontrol to work
again.  I'm sure some people have seen this.  The last time this happened,
my mouse in X stopped responding.  This time, though, no X was running.

As for the cause, I'm sure it is a PCI/ISA bus issue.

- Donn