Date:      Fri, 10 Apr 1998 23:24:43 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
To:        David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Yahoo release

On Fri, 10 Apr 1998, David Kelly wrote:

> David Greenman writes:
> > >You can read the whole press release here:
> > >
> > >	http://www.yahoo.com/docs/pr/release166.html
> > >
> > >I'd say taking a 1000 hits/sec must require a stable OS.  :-)
> >
> >    Keep in mind, however, that this is spread out over a whole bunch of
> > servers - I think something like >70 at just the west coast POP. Although
> > I believe they are doing several million hits/day per server, so I think
> > it is still impressive.
>
> But before we stick our necks out too far, Yahoo! and Oracle jointly
> made a press release recently. Think it mentioned NT too. So how much
> of Yahoo! is still FreeBSD?

Note that you need to be very careful doing PRs about people using your
software when you aren't doing the PRs in cooperation with them.  It can
do anything ranging from annoying them to really pissing them off.  Also,
cooperating with them can get you cool and useful quotes.  If you do it
right, they may well like the idea because it gives them press at the same
time.  You just have to be very careful about who is trying to exploit who
for free PR; that goes both ways.

Hey, they use Apache too for some stuff last I knew.  Of course it is a
pre-1.2 version that is quite hacked up, and I'm not sure just how much
they use it for.  They hide it really well, but the right malformed
queries to the right servers will reveal the truth. <g> For example,
add.yahoo.com claims to be Apache/1.1.1 if you ask it right.