Date:      Tue, 7 Apr 1998 15:14:06 +0100
From:      nik@iii.co.uk
To:        CHOI Junho <junker@jazz.snu.ac.kr>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Korean Translation of Handbook - Where to start from?

[ Note: I'm on restricted keyboard duty for the next week or so due to RSI
  :-(, so will be somewhat quieter than normal on the mailing lists. I'm
  typing this by pecking at the keys with two pens. . . ]

On Tue, Apr 07, 1998 at 10:24:31PM +0900, CHOI Junho wrote:
> I(and some more people) am thinking about starting translation of
> FreeBSD handbook(and possibly, FAQ) to Korean language.

Great.

> I get doc-all distribution via cvsup, but I confused some. What is
> /usr/doc/handbook and /usr/doc/en/handbook?

doc/handbook is the current handbook. doc/en/handbook is the new handbook
which is marked up using a different markup language. I'm currently in the
process of doing the conversion, but have been somewhat slowed by the RSI.

> What is different?
> and, if we start translation, what place should I start from?
> /usr/doc/handbook or /usr/doc/en/handbook?

Depends. If you want to start right now then your best bet is probably
doc/handbook. We can create a doc/kr (is that the country code for Korea?)
directory, and you can start submitting the translated version using send-pr.

At some point in the future you can then convert it from LinuxDoc to DocBook,
using the instructions I am writing in doc/en/handbook/README.

Alternatively, you can wait for the conversion to finish, and then work
from the new handbook. This will be less work overall, but will take longer.
How much longer depends on the results of my physiotherapy.

It would probably be better if you started on the FAQ, which is not in the
same state of flux as the handbook.

> And, is there some guideline of translation Handbook(and other
> documents, such as FAQ, manpages, examples) to other languages?

doc@jp.freebsd.org is the Japanese translation project (I think that's the
right address) and should be able to offer you lots of help.

Work: nik@iii.co.uk                       | FreeBSD + Perl + Apache
Rest: nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk    | Remind me again why we need
Play: nik@freebsd.org                     | Microsoft?