Date:      Mon, 10 Apr 2000 14:15:22 +0100
From:      "Andy Coates" <andy@friends-tv.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Cc:        <simond@irrelevant.org>
Subject:   Re: Help on installing 4.0-RELEASE

----- Original Message -----
From: <simond@irrelevant.org>
To: <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Sent: Monday, April 10, 2000 1:36 PM
Subject: Help on installing 4.0-RELEASE

> OK, I've previously installed various 3.x versions of FreeBSD, but I'm
having
> a lot of trouble with 4.0, the way the problem shows itself is that
whenever
> any newfs or fsck is done on ata0 (20.5gb IBM hd) the whole machine locks
up.
> The motherboard chipset I have is the VIA MVP3 chipset with a K6-2/450
> installed into it.
>
> Any help would be much appreciated :)

I have what sounds a similar problem, although my install hangs at various
stages during the install depending on what options I choose. It usually
hangs for me when it starts extracting the ports/src packages. At first I
thought it was a dodgy CD because I burned the ISO of the 4.0-RELEASE but
then I've read a few posts now and found out other people have had problems.

I think you can you get around the hanging by not installing certain parts,
and doing the rest yourself manually later.

Like you, my 3.4 freebsd installed fine, as with other people with this
problem. I have a Dual Celeron 466 and BP6 motherboard.

So if anyone can help us out here it'd be most appreciated.
Cheers,
Andy.