Date:      Wed, 11 Sep 1996 11:06:44 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      sos@FreeBSD.org
To:        kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de (Christoph Kukulies)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IDE and ASUS P/I-P6NP5

> The Pentium Pro ASUS P/I-P6NP5 board claims to support
> onboard IDE (bus master) at 17 MB/s in PIO mode and 22MB/s in
> DMA mode.

Sounds about right..

> How useful is this under FreeBSD-current? Does the IDE driver support
> this? Are there any IDE disk drives allowing for transfer rates
> in the range of those achieved by SCSI drives? Would that rule out
> SCSI as the choice when you want to have really fast disk access?

Hmm, I still think that SCSI would be best in highdemand situations,
however it should be possible with some pretty good figures using
EIDE/ATA drives.
And no our current ide (more wdc) driver has no support for
this, that situation could change though given the right
circumstances.....

Soren Schmidt             (sos@FreeBSD.org)             FreeBSD Core Team
               So much code to hack -- so little time.