Date:      Fri, 12 May 95 09:29:00 PDT
From:      Plyaskin Sergey <splyaski@cmp.com>
To:        questions <questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   RE: X-windows mouse problem

The /dev/psm0 entry exists, but the mouse cursor does not respond to any
mouse event.
I have attempted all the configuration options that I could think of and
have
consulted
the documentation that came with my the FreeBSD 2.0 version I am using (I
purchased the
Walnut Creek CD-ROM) but I have not been able to get the mouse to work
properly.  The
documentation I have indicates that you can cat from the device /dev/tty00
check for
mouse events.  When I try this I get no visual reaction corresponding to
mouse events.
I have also tried to cat from /dev/psm0 and /dev/mouse (both of which
exist),
but these
devices do not allow me to cat from them (unless I change the file
attributes, and even
then I do not get any visual reaction for mouse events).

      Try also /dev/cuaa0 (or cuaa1). That worked for me.
      =S.P.

I am running FreeBSD 2.0 on a Gateway 2000 P5-75.  The system has a PS/2
mouse which
is detected properly by the other software I use (my primary 720MB HD is
dedicated to
OS/2 v.3 - Warp - I run FreeBSD 2.0 from a second dedicated 450MB HD).  I
see
no
indication of the mouse being detected in the boot messages (I don't know if
I should or
not).

I would greatly appreciate any additional ideas or help anyone can provide.

Regards, and to the FreeBSD 2.0 authors/contributers, thanks for the great
work!

Vernon Stinebaker