Date:      Mon, 24 Mar 97 14:03:51 CST
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@solaria.sol.net>
To:        spork@super-g.com (spork)
Cc:        richard@pegasus.com, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: reliable modems?

> --> you said:
>
> > I'd recommend against rack-mount modems.  I've used them in the past
> > and always wished I hadn't once they get older.  Once they get outdated
> > single modems can be spread around and used in other places -- rack-mounts
> > become large expensive boat-anchors.  :-(
> >
> > Rows of single modems may not look as cool, but they usually make more
> > sense.
>
> I can't agree with this...  Just figuring out a way to *power* 200
> modems in a standalone config is a nightmare.  I've blown circuit
> breakers while plugging in new ones.  The cube power supplies are very
> unreliable, and very innefficient.  Nowt to mention that you have no way
> of having a modem busy itself out if it stops working.  UUNet, PSI, etal.
> are all going for the Ascend Max, which when purchased used, is a pretty
> good deal.  Not to mention they perform well.  My sportster (which has
> never given me any problems) is dialed into one now, happily talking with
> a Rockwell chipset.
>
> Why do I say all this?  I'm in charge of 200 stand alone modems.
> Nightmare, nightmare, nightmare.  I won't even start on the Xylogics
> RA4000....

I'm coming in a bit late on this  :-)

I'm sitting about 30 meters from a room where there are TWELVE HUNDRED
Courier modems.  A local ISP used a bit of creativity and developed a
nifty way to set up arrays of 120 Courier modems, complete with phone,
power, and network wiring for the four Portmasters on each array.

It's a bit scary to see 120 modems all powered by a single step-down
transformer (10 identical racks).  The modems kick off a bit of heat,
too.  On the other hand, it's very easy to debug, and is a relatively
inexpensive per-port solution to the problem.

It's quite impressive to see a telco demarc for 1200 analog lines.

They no longer do this:  they are running out of room and are exploring
other alternatives.  They figure that they can either sell the modems
to their users (X2-ready!) or sell complete racks to other startup ISP's.

... Joe