Date:      Thu, 23 Dec 1999 01:49:04 +0900
From:      Robert Hugh Force II <tiberius@yta.attmil.ne.jp>
To:        David De Silva <david@desilva.co.uk>
Cc:        "Ronald G. Minnich" <rminnich@lanl.gov>, freebsd-cluster@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Web resources

David,

    Beowulf, in my opinion, refers to a class or type of computer (in this case a clustered
computer).  Ronald's extract from the Beowulf mailing list tends to support that view point.
A Beowulf class cluster computer could be named anything and still be a Beowulf class cluster
computer.  A well chosen name to distinguish a Beowulf running FreeBSD from other Beowulf
computers would be, I think, a good thing to have.

    Beowulf is the title character and hero of an anonymous, alliterative Old English epic
poem about the Danish people and the founding of the Danish House.  I have not read or heard
of why the original Beowulf was given that name.  Does anyone know?

    The University of Spain at Barcelona (http://www.maia.ub.es/dsg/hidra/index.html) has a
Beowulf class computer they call Hidra.  I am not sure why it is spelled with an I instead of
a Y, but a good picture of the mythical Hydra beast is on their web page.

    Greek mythology tells us the HYDRA was a serpent with nine heads, one of which was
immortal.  This would seem to be an excellent example of 'clustering', even if it is
mythological.  Another definition of hydra is a many-sided problem that persists or grows
worse even after part of it is solved.  This would seem to fit a Beowulf class cluster
computer.  The many-sided problem of maintaining and using a Beowulf would tend to persist
for a long time after solving any parts of the puzzle.  A third definition of Hydra is a
constellation of the southern sky that is the largest of all.  We would want the FreeBSD
based Beowulf to be the largest and best known of all, wouldn't we?

    I like the idea of using HYDRA to denote a Beowulf class cluster computer.

    By the way, I am not familiar with the details of the "Hitch Hikers Guide to the
Universe".  Why would Zaphod imply it is restricted to two nodes?

                                                    Bob "Use the" Force
                                                    fMFG