Date:      Thu, 17 Apr 1997 12:12:36 -0400
From:      "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@freebsd.org>
To:        Pete Carah <pete@ns.altadena.net>
Cc:        jsuter@linus.intrastar.net (Jacob Suter), isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: News...

Pete Carah wrote in message ID
<199704170755.AAA13430@ns.altadena.net>:
> > After looking over recent messages about news servers, it appears as if
> > NNTP is a very wasteful use of system resources.  Has there been any
> > advances in the replacement of this waste-o-bandwidth?
>
> Not to speak of the net itself; we (not a particularly major player,
> but we get independent feeds from 3 of the "top 1k") are currently
> getting between 1 and 2 gb/day in, the great majority (all but about 300mb)

Your lucky. Most `full feed' sites average 5 gigs a day, with 7 gigs a
day not unusual over fri/sat and towards the end of the month (end of
the month? wonder why ... what happens at the end of the month? OH!
FreeNIX computations! I wonder if some sites are DELIBERATELY spamming
to up their ratings artificially *SIGH*)

Gary