Date:      Sat, 24 Aug 2002 20:28:13 -0600
From:      "Mike Avery" <mavery@myrealbox.com>
To:        FreeBSD-Mobile@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: BSD 4.6, X, and Savage IX w/MV woes

On 24 Aug 2002 at 18:07, Scott Lambert wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 24, 2002 at 12:34:08PM -0600, Mike Avery wrote:
> > I'm trying to get my Toshiba 2755 laptop running with
> > FreeBSD 4.6.  Sadly, I bought this machine before I
> > was thinking about running FreeBSD on a laptop.
>
> That's ok, it will probably work just fine.

FreeBSD is great..... it's just X that isn't.  I hate being
Xless.

> That sounds like the Savage chip that is in my Toshiba 2805 and which
> has been working perfectly ever since XFree86 4.0.1.  Make sure you
> installed XFree86 4.x and *not* XFree86 3.x.  3.x doesn't work with
> the Savage IX/MV.  BTW, this is an XFree86 issue you are having, it's
> not FreeBSD's fault. :-)  XFree68 will work for you once we get the
> magic incantations right.  Don't dispare.

I figured that.... but making sure the moon was in the
right phase, that I was holding my tongue just so, and
then trying to say the right words was getting
frustrating.

> > (Red Hat chokes on the Cisco
> > PCM340 Card in the laptop.  There is no joy in mudville.
> > While I'd rather have FreeBSD working on the machine,
> > my main goal is to get Microsoft OFF the machine.)

> I haven't tried a Cisco card yet.  But I've seen reports of success. I
> wiped Windows off this machine the day after I bought it.

The Cisco card works great under FreeBSD.  It took
two days to figure out how to make it happen <g>.

> > I'd appreciate any pointers, tips, or answers you can
> > share.  I've been rt'ing the fm, and cursing google until
> > my eyes cross.... so far, no joy.

> I don't know how different the 2755 is from the 2805, but you might at
> least want to try snarfing my XFree86 config file from:

> http://www.LambertFam.org/~lambert/laptop/
 Grabbed it... progress report will follow in a day or two.

Thanks,
Mike