Date:      Sat, 29 Jul 2000 10:14:33 -0500 (CDT)
From:      James Wyatt <jwyatt@rwsystems.net>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FTP Servers

On Fri, 28 Jul 2000, Bill Fumerola wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 27, 2000 at 06:00:47PM +0100, Homerton Webmaster wrote:
> > What FTP server would people recommend? People have mentioned proftpd but
> > it seems every version has a root exploit for it. I touched wu a long time
> > ago, is
> > that worth using these days?
>
> FUD. proftpd is excellent.

Fud, foo... Both proftpd and wuftpd (and several others like WARFTPd)
have had critical security holes that have been found with annoyingly
entrehched versions. Both are excellent and offer *many* features and have
ongoing development, thus new bugs once in a while.

The stock FBSD FTP server is better than most stock ones and allows
chrooted users, which is what drives many folks to pro/wu/war-ftpd. We use
wuftpd on the AIX machines and it works well.

If you use any of them, watch the security advisories, delay using new
features, join the support mailing list and keep aware. - Jy@