Date:      Wed, 13 Jun 2001 21:15:15 -0500
From:      HyunSeog Ryu <moonhunt@moonworld.org>
To:        Brian <ircd@wrath.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Digital Subscriber Lines

--------------48BF91589D0126328B718614

It depends on what kind of DSL you are talking. :-)
ADSL can run on normal telephone wire.
So same phone line (2 conductors) can be shared with ADSL,too.
Sometimes telco may put load coil to increase the signal and decrease noise.
In that case, DSL line quality may decrease or unable to install.

SDSL uses 2 conductors, but it is dedicated purpose.
It can not be shared with phone line.

HSDL uses 4 conductors. Two transmit signal, two receive signal.

I didn't check the wire detailed.
This is all what I know.
Sometimes telco uses HDSL for T1 local loop.

If I remember correctly, DSL line is same as telephone cooper line.

Hyun

Brian wrote:

> I thought I'd ask here before I wandered the web finding every piece of
> information but what I want.
>
> How many conductors does DSL use?  Telephones only use two, is this the case
> with DSL as well?
>
> Is there anything special about a DSL cable?  Is it just generic RJ12 or
> even worse, RJ11?  I've never seen DSL (I've got cable internet access and
> DSL isn't offered here yet) and I don't know if they want to run a "special"
> wire for DSL.  (If another imbecile swiss-cheeses my house and then zigzags,
> coils, and weaves a "special" generic RG6 cable like the cable man did, he's
> going to get an earful).
>
> Why am I asking?  I just finished running Category5 and RG6 throughout my
> house and now it's time to start dinking around with the telephone lines
> from the consumer interface (the box strapped on the side of your house) to
> my patch panel.
>
> Thanks for your time
> -Brian

--------------48BF91589D0126328B718614

begin:vcard
n:Ryu;HyunSeog
tel;pager:(414)557-2253
tel;fax:(262)792-7733
tel;work:(262)792-7965
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://www.moonworld.org/~moonhunt
org:Norlight Telecommunications;Applications Engineering
adr:;;275 North Corporate Drive;Brookfield;WI;53045-5818;US
version:2.1
email;internet:r.hyunseog@ieee.org
title:Network Engineer
note;quoted-printable:nic-handile : HR201, HR201-ARIN,  HR1-APNIC and work for AS#7260=0D=0A
fn:HyunSeog Ryu
end:vcard