Date:      Tue, 11 Jun 2002 16:16:10 +0200
From:      Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely5.cicely.de>
To:        Wilko Bulte <wkb@freebie.xs4all.nl>
Cc:        "Wilkinson,Alex" <Alex.Wilkinson@dsto.defence.gov.au>, freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Alpha pws 500au and Matrox Millennium G450 (PCI)

On Tue, Jun 11, 2002 at 09:38:22AM +0200, Wilko Bulte wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 11, 2002 at 10:56:42AM +0930, Wilkinson,Alex wrote:
> > Howdy Crew,
> >
> > I have bought a Matrox Millennium G450 dual head Video Card for my Alpha pws 500au.
> > This is a PCI card.
> >

> > I physically put the card in the Alpha 500au pws last night.
> >
> > I then proceeded to boot the OS. The SRM made 1 longish beep followed by 3 short beeps...AND
> > a black screen with no SRM.
> >
> > Is there something else I need to do ?
>
> In which slot is it? If not in a 64 bit PCI slot please try it in that one.

What does the PWS manual say about the beep codes?
If the card isn't supported by SRM I would expect it to be ignored.

Possible that the PCI chip's self test failed.
Can you test the card in another machine?

You might also want to check if the system has a jumperable
system clock divisor.
E.g. my PC164 has a changeable crystal for CPU clock and you have
to select the clock divisor acordingly.
You could have overclocked the PCI bus without even knowing that on
such systems.

ticso@cicely.de         Usergroup           info@cosmo-project.de