Date:      Tue, 22 Dec 1998 15:29:46 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        brian@worldcontrol.com
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SANE, USB, -current step 2

> Ok I plugged my wife's HP 4100cxi and booted with the USB extensions.
> The last line look promising:
>
> Dec 22 22:28:40 top /kernel: ugen0: Hewlett-Packard HP ScanJet 4100C (rev 1.00/1.00) addr 2 (device class 0/0)
>
> Now does anyone have a primer on using the ugen device to talk to the
> device?
>
> Perhaps /dev/ugen0 is dynamically created and I can talk serially to the
> device via read/write?

Dream on.   8)

USB is not a simple, friendly interface like the adverts want you to
think.  It's fiendishly complex, and still less than completely
designed.

The 'ugen' driver is a catchall which will claim a device that nobody
else has claimed.  It supports nothing, basically.

Go the the USB website (www.usb.org), hit the developer's section, and
start looking for documents related to scanners.  You should probably
also talk to HP and ask them for scanner-specific stuff, because the
generic scanner class is almost certainly only going to specify the
basics of talking to the scanner; there are going to be commands and
procedures which are unique to your device.