Date:      Thu, 26 Apr 2001 17:52:55 -0700
From:      Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org>
To:        Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
Cc:        doc@freebsd.org

Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org> writes:
> On Thu, Apr 26, 2001 at 04:21:05PM -0700, Dima Dorfman wrote:
> > Actually, the only reason I don't like MIME is because not everything
> > can read it: specifically, the mail archives and the composition
> > portion of my archaic MUA.  I understand no one really cares about the
> > latter, but the former is a problem.  Have you actually tried looking
> > at your messages in the archives?
>
> I just took a look at
>
>     http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=69731+72121+/usr/local/www/db/text/2001/freebsd-doc/20010422.freebsd-doc
>
> which, IMHO, looks OK.  The first four lines are easy to ignore, and
> it's obvious where the end of the message is from the sig block

That message isn't so bad.  The only sign of MIME encoding is the
"=20" at the end of one of the lines.  If you think I'm nitpicking, go
look at:

http://docs.FreeBSD.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=59067+0+archive/2001/freebsd-doc/20010311.freebsd-doc

Actually, the best examples of how messy it can get are patches.  You
haven't sent any longer than a few lines since you started
auto-signing messages, but if you want you can look at some of Kris
Kennaway's.  He also uses Mutt to auto-sign messages:

http://docs.FreeBSD.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=89304+0+current/freebsd-audit

(Find an '=' symbol in the patch.)

> > All that said, I can live with MIME.  It'd be nice if the mail
> > archives can be fixed, but I personally don't want to spend lots of
> > time doing that.
>
> What would a fix look like?  The mail archives could use an overhaul
> anyway (and have done for some time).

The mail archives are fine.  I prefer them to all of the other
archivers: openresources, egroups, et al.  They're fast, have little
overhead (i.e., I don't have to scroll down to see the message), and
have relatively nice threading.  It's the searching that could use an
overhaul, IMO.

					Dima Dorfman
					dima@unixfreak.org