Date:      Sat, 23 Dec 2006 12:56:23 +0400 (AMT)
From:      Hrant Dadivanyan <ran@styx.aic.net>
To:        Scott Bennett <bennett@cs.niu.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: another step toward a working driver for Dell 1450 wireless card

>      SUCCESS AT LAST!!!  Read on...

Glad to hear, congratulations !

 [deleted]
> >Please note, you need to feed bcm43xx.cat to ndisgen as well.

This is wrong, because driver works without. That was my mistake, ndis
wasn't load by some other cause.

>      I hadn't been aware of the bcm43xx.cat firmware file, so I checked the
> modern driver files for it, found it, and tried again.  It still caused the
> same error messages and kernel panic.
>      So then I tried the "old" driver you directed me toward.  When I then
> did a kldload bcmwl5_sys.ko , lo and behold, no errors, the card was correctly
> identified as a Dell 1450, and the kernel kept running as though nothing
> important had happened.
>      As I write this update, I am logged in remotely to the system I handle
> email on from a Starbuck's via a free-access wireless router at a Panera
> restaurant across the highway.  I've done a fresh cvsup on everything except
> the ports tree and have run a "portsnap fetch update" as well.  The connection
> seems to work just great!
> >
> >Yesterday I found the following -
> >http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=106131
> >with patch to ndis. It may work for you, sorry I don't have time now to
> >try it for myself, on holidays maybe.
>
>      I'll check that out when I find a bit more spare time.

I confirm that patch works. Apply it and you can load "fresh" drivers
from Dell. Thanks to Scot W. Hetzel for excellent work !

>      Thank you ever so wonderfully much for your help!  This is great!  Now
> I won't have to go bother my friends to let me hang out for hours at a time
> in their basement with my computer hooked to their router by wire. :-) :-)

;-)

hrant

>                                   Scott Bennett, Comm. ASMELG, CFIAG
> * Internet:       bennett at cs.niu.edu                              *
> * "A well regulated and disciplined militia, is at all times a good  *
> * objection to the introduction of that bane of all free governments *
> * -- a standing army."                                               *
> *    -- Gov. John Hancock, New York Journal, 28 January 1790         *

Hrant Dadivanyan (aka Ran d'Adi)			ran(at)psg.com
/* "Feci quod potui, faciant meliora potentes." */	ran(at)styx.aic.net