Date:      Mon, 29 Sep 1997 05:31:28 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com (Rodney W. Grimes)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, sthaug@nethelp.no, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 'fxp' driver/hardware lossage (was Re: Alexander B. Povol's mail)

> Ah, Terry, do you realize who you quoted above?  Please reread
> what I wrote, I don't think you can find a NIC that meets my
> spec without getting a ``good one''.

Yes; I'll note the subtle distinction between "prevent" and "not fail
as a result of".

If you are spending money, since hubs cost more than cards, unless you
already have a significant amount of bad cards to hubs, and the price
of replacing the cards is higher than the marginal cost of upgrading
the card to a switch, you might as well go for "not fail as a result of"
instead, and save the money.

The problem is specific to the fxp cards; don't buy fxp cards, and
you don't have the problem.  Upgrade your hubs to switches, and you
don't have the problem.

Is it really cheaper to buy switched than new cards?

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.