Date:      Wed, 16 Jan 2002 21:39:22 -0800
From:      Murray Stokely <murray@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Jim Mock <mij@soupnazi.org>
Cc:        Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com>, ru@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: docs/33913: GNATS webinterface isn't wrapping lines

--rFUhhEVnhEf/dYhU

On Wed, Jan 16, 2002 at 01:15:33AM -0800, Jim Mock wrote:
> > The wrap attribute was NEVER valid in any HTML spec.  It is and
> > remains a quick hack to get out of massaging user input.
>=20
> What's wrong with it is that when the web site is built, the code is
> validated, and if non-existant stuff is found, the build fails.  If we
> add the wrap attribute, the build will fail because it isn't valid.

  I ran into this problem a lot over the last several weeks as I was
frantically trying to put up http://www.FreeBSDMall.com.

  Basically we're using the stock FreeBSD Web infrastructure with the
following small additions to web/share/mk/web.site.mk :

  * Addition of a 'spellcheck' target, so that we can check the
    formatted output for errors before committing changes.

  * Addition of a 'POSTPROCESS' target, so that invalid HTML can be
    specified with something like=20

      "<body class=3D'FreeBSDMall-bodystyle1'>"=20

    A variable is set in the individual Makefiles to specify what
    replacement should be done.  In this case, the class attribute is
    replaced with the invalid but highly implemented margin
    attributes.

    web.site.mk then contains the Perl or sed command line to run the
    regexp specified in this variable over the generated HTML file.

  * Various other installation tweaks for our local.

The problem gets more complex for us, because we're using an
application server that embeds new invalid tags to the HTML.

We can use CDATA sections for some of this stuff, but that has the
side effect of changing < into &lt; and other problems that will
certainly confuse the application server.  If anyone is interested, I
can post the diffs for the above functionality, although it is really
quite trivial.

I would be very interested in hearing how other people deal with these
problems.  In particular, I know the POSTPROCESS stuff is a big ugly
hack, so I'd like to find a more SGML-friendly way to solve this problem.

	  - Murray

--rFUhhEVnhEf/dYhU

--rFUhhEVnhEf/dYhU--