Date:      14 Nov 1996 06:50:44 +0100
From:      Assar Westerlund <assar@sics.se>
To:        Bill Paul <wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu>
Cc:        Guido.vanRooij@nl.cis.philips.com, freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Secure RPC revisited

Bill Paul <wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu> writes:
> > I thought SSH also used diffie hellman. It seems they don't have a problem.
>
> I'm not sure it's the same, although I wouldn't mind being proven wrong.

I believe SSH uses RSA.

> > Exactly *where* is the patent living? If it is only in the states, we
> > might just install it on the internat repository?
>

> I confess that I don't know enough about patent law to say how much of
> this nonsense applies outside the U.S.

Diffie-Hellman is only patented in the US and Canada.  And those
patents will expire the 27th of April 1997.

(It's unfortunately not the case that you cannot have such silly
patents outside of the US, just that the most common encryption
algorithms are not patented there.)

/asar