Date:      Fri, 23 Jul 2004 17:00:51 GMT
From:      Thomas-Martin Seck <tmseck@netcologne.de>
To:        freebsd-ports-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/69487: [Maintainer] www/squid: use OpenLDAP 2.1

The following reply was made to PR ports/69487; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Thomas-Martin Seck <tmseck@netcologne.de>
To: Oliver Eikemeier <eikemeier@fillmore-labs.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 18:51:26 +0200

 * Oliver Eikemeier (eikemeier@fillmore-labs.com):

 > Thomas-Martin Seck wrote:
 >
 > >[...]
 > >This issue does not seem to be related to the vendor patch against the
 > >LDAP authentication helpers as I originally thought (see ports/69465)
 > >but
 > >until this issue is sorted out upstream, keep leaving this patch alone
 > >since I cannot test LDAP authentication myself yet.
 >
 > I believe this is caused by the vendor patch and does in no way releate
 > to the OpenLDAP version used. The vendor patch breaks -H, -P and
 > authentication.

 You are probably right, but...

 [...]

 > You shouldn't be able to authenticate or crash.
 >
 > Again: I can't see any signs that this relates to the OpenLDAP version
 > used.

 This sounds plausible, too, unfortunately I do not have an LDAP server
 to test against and squid bug #1018 says "with OpenLDAP 2.1 it works"
 and when I asked Edwin Groothuis for feedback he said the vendor patch
 would make no difference, the problem depended on the OpenLDAP version.
 So for me the problem /seems/ to be OpenLDAP 2.2. I have to believe
 what I am told so until I get a clear statement about the cause of the
 problem I like to revert the port to a known good state ASAP. /Should
 work/ has bitten me too often, so I am bit reluctant to believe this (no
 offence meant!).

 I am a bit at a loss now, because I want to avoid to break user's
 setups when they upgrade squid and OpenLDAP at the same time, mostly
 because I do not have any positive feedback wrt OpenLDAP 2.2, that's
 all. If I had, things were easier for me, so everyone using the OpenLDAP
 2.2 client libraries for squid authentication is invited to mail success
 stories to me :)

 Anyway: if you have not done so already please connect Henrik Nordström
 <hno@squid-cache.org> and try to sort this out with him. I am convinced
 both of you can collaborate on this and come to a solution really
 quickly.