Date:      Wed, 04 Oct 2006 10:05:14 +0800
From:      Ganbold <ganbold@micom.mng.net>
To:        Eric Anholt <anholt@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: 945GM graphics and mplayer

Eric Anholt wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-10-02 at 13:25 +0800, Ganbold wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have strange problem with my Dell Latitude D620 laptop which has 945GM
>> chipset and onboard graphic card.
>> I'm using September 30th RELENG_6.
>>
>> If I use acpi_video only, mplayer can only use "sdl" video output for
>> full screen playing.
>> If I use mnag@FreeBSD.org's i945 graphics support patch without using
>> acpi_video, mplayer can use other video outputs for full screen playing
>> but my mouse works in strange way, mouse pointer doesn't move, or moves
>> very very slowly. I can see mouse goes over gnome applets (highlights)
>> but I don't see pointer itself is moving.
>> If I use mnag's patch and acpi_video together mplayer can use only "sdl"
>> for full screen playing.
>>

> OK, I think in reading your email, I'll substitute "having acpi_video"
> with "not having AGP loaded."  If you have acpi_video on RELENG_6, that
> prevents your AGP from loading afaik.

Oh, ok, I thought so. Some questions:
Do I really need acpi_video?
Can I use both AGP and acpi_video at the same time?
Do I need to load i915 kernel module?

> So, if you have AGP loaded, you get a broken cursor, but playing XV
> works fine?

Yes.

>   Could you try the patch at
> http://people.freebsd.org/~anholt/agp-i945-4.diff instead?  There were
> cases where the original patch (along with Linux's code) could get the
> aperture size wrong in my testing.  But then, testing 3 versions of the
> code across 2-3 pieces of hardware and 2 OSes leaves me somewhat
> confused as to what I've really tested, so no guarantees :)

Ok, I understand, I'll try your patch and let you know whether it solves
the problem or not.

>> Is this strange behavior related to ACPI or something else?
>>
>> Also when I'm not starting /etc/rc.d/moused before going to X I can't
>> use mouse in X.
>> Is this problem related to X or ACPI?
>>

> X expects to use sysmouse by default.  If you don't have moused
> providing mouse events, you won't get any.

It is strange though I see mouse pointer in center of the screen, but it
doesn't move.
As I recall it was working without moused when I first installed
FreeBSD-6.1-RELEASE.
I'm not quite sure, I did several updates to RELENG_6 and somewhere July
it didn't work without moused loaded beforehand.
Maybe it is ACPI related problem, but it is only my opinion.

thanks,

Ganbold