Date:      Wed, 29 May 2002 17:24:04 +0930
From:      Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, pgreen <polytarp@m-net.arbornet.org>, Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@online.fr>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Language in danger: Language loss

On Monday, 27 May 2002 at 13:14:14 +0200, Brad Knowles wrote:
> At 10:45 AM +0930 2002/05/27, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
>
>> Imagine you're driving down a crowded freeway and a car in front of
>> you suddenly stops.  You have to avoid it.  How do you do it?  "Well,
>> if I veer to the left, I may hit the gravel on the side of the road,
>> if I veer to the right, I may hit the central reservation, but there's
>> not enough space between the lanes for me to get through, so maybe the
>> gravel's the least risk"?  Of course not.  Putting thoughts into
>> language is too slow for your own thoughts.
>
> 	I would argue that this issue is handled largely by reflex, with
> relatively little conscious thought.  What conscious thought has gone
> into this process happened before the situation began, so your reflex
> is going to be guided by your memory of the overall situation
> immediately before the unexpected occurrence.

Maybe we have a difference of terminology here.  There's a difference
between this kind of "reflex" and the kind of reflex which makes your
leg kick when you're hit on the knee.  I suspect what I call thinking
is what you call reflex, and what you call "conscious thought" is
really formulating your thoughts in language.

A corollary to this is: if the languages you speak don't have any
words to express a thought, can you think it?

Greg