Date:      Sat, 26 Jul 1997 18:23:02 +1000
From:      Richard Lyon <rlyon@ozemail.com.au>
Subject:   RE: FreeBSD and NT

I have a friend sysadmin who is familiar both with UNIX and NT and he says
that NT is easy to use only until you do not have to do anything advanced.
If you have to do something more complicated you need a lot of NT-specific
training and special competence.

Perhaps, NT is really an excellent platform for a secretary to run MS
Office though.

To install workstation 4 and IE4.0 requires at least as much work as FreeBSD, assuming you don't just accept the default settings. The documentation is sparse and it takes a bit of poking around to find it. The server version is even worse. The sysadmin staff seem to be able to get unix boxes up and running in one hit. With NT it seems to be an iterative process. Every few weeks its a new patch or change in configuration.

It requires a bit of horse power and ram to run NT effectively. Realistically something like a 200 MHz MMX with 64 meg of ram is about right for workstation. With server, get the biggest and most powerful machine you can lay your hands-on. Stuff it with as many processors and ram as your budget will allow. Send the staff on Microsoft training courses and allow a generous budget to purchase both Microsoft and third party documentation.

MS office is ok for people who are generating small documents. Try writing a 50 page document with a lot of embedded graphics content. Even with 64 meg of ram it is quite common to get file corruption and out-of memory messages. Every paper I have written over the last year using MS-WORD has been a nightmare. The only solution has been to break up documents into small chunks, just like I do using Latex on FreeBSD. At least with Latex the original document source is safe (and its not just me who is having these problems).

FreeBSD is pretty cool, because it accomplishes a lot with less.

Regards Richard ...

(If the format of this mail message is slightly strange, I must apologize on behalf of my Microsoft mail application)