Date:      Fri, 01 Oct 2004 15:47:20 -0400
From:      Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        knowtree@aloha.com
Cc:        freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Stuck and skipping keys after update

knowtree@aloha.com wrote:
| My recent, minor updates to XFree86 and Gnome 2.8 have resulted in one
| major and one minor problem: keys skip or stick, and there is a 100 sec.
| delay between logging on and the first time the Actions / Logout
dialog box
| will open.
|
| I thought the keyboard problem was a result of upgrading XFree86, but it
| does not occur when I logon to a session with X but without Gnome. (It
also
| does not happen using the plain old text console interface.)
|
| Keyboard will start fine, but after a minute or two keys start to stick,
| repeating as if held down. Sometimes hitting another key will unstick it,
| sometimes all I can do is cycle power :-(
|
| Work-around is to un-check "Key presses repeat when key is help down" in
| the Keyboard Preferences dialog. That prevents runaway keys, but it does
| not fix another artifact: pressing a key, especially the Enter key has no
| effect. (Perhaps because that generates two keycode events?) (After typing
| this I have to go back and add missing letters!) Eventually I get no input
| from the keyboard and have to mouse-click my way to a logoff and nice
re-boot.

| Yesterday I cvsup'ed my ports tree and did
|
|   portupgrade -arR  (this updated mozilla)
|
|   portupgrade -fr gnome2
|
|   portupgrade -fR gnome2
|
| The last one takes a long time, so I went home. Still broken today, no
| change. (I'm  not a portupgrade wizard, buy any means.)

I have not seen this on either of my GNOME 2.8 test machines, but there
was a problem similar to this under GNOME 2.6.  The solution was to do a
forced upgrade of libgnome, gnomevfs2, and gnomecontrolcenter2 twice.  So:

# portupgrade -f libgnome gnomevfs2 gnomecontrolcenter2
# portupgrade -f libgnome gnomevfs2 gnomecontrolcenter2

This fixes a condition where some files are deleted by the installation
of one port, and reinstalled by the installation of another.  If this
doesn't fix the problem, try creating a dummy gnome account, and see if
the problem reoccurs on a clean account.  If not, then you may have some
bad GConf settings under your normal user.

Joe

- --