Date:      Mon, 19 Nov 2001 22:23:20 -0500
From:      leegold <leegold@operamail.com>
To:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   ports vs. packages

Trying to get a handle on difference between ports
and packages re: FreeBsd.

"To Port" the verb, means to make an application,
a program "runnable" on a particular OS.

"A Port" the noun, is usually source code, config
scripts, other stuff, that a user runs the "make"
command on to compile & install a new program.

A Package is a (compiled) binary, along with
"other stuff" that installs a new program.

FreeBsd has a ports collection which we can install
on our system it serves as kind of a database to
tell us what ports and pakages ie. what programs
we have installed.

Is this close to reality?

Thanks.

PS given a choice between
installing a program via a port vs. a package
 what should one do?