Date:      Mon, 13 Apr 1998 19:56:55 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd@futuresouth.com>
To:        Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
Cc:        Frank Pawlak <fpawlak@execpc.com>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Project FreeBSD 98

On Tue, 14 Apr 1998, Sue Blake wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 13, 1998 at 04:26:11PM -0500, Frank Pawlak wrote:
>
> > The five groups shake out like so:
> >
> > Documentation:
> >
> > Public Relations:
> >
> > 	Product positioning
> > 	Advertising
> >
> > Distribution ( Customer Fullfillment )
> >
> > Publications:
> >
> > 	Magazine Articles, Books, etc.
> >
> > Technical Support:
>
>  Newbies:
>
>  	Welcoming
>  	Orientation
>  	Learning support

<big damn nice pro-newbie rant snipped>

OK, here's my $0.02 on this.
1) Make a category 'Information' or whatever and stick both Tech Support
and Documentation under it.  Granted, these are very seperate efforts, but
they're perhaps two of the closest tied efforts.  The fact that we don't
have a FAQ about 'How do I get the floppy into the drive?' indicated that
there's been a startling lack of questions about how to do so on the tech
support side.  The job of the Documentation team should always be to put
the Tech Support team out of business, by providing, easily available,
both quick tutorials to get the users doing what they need/want to do, and
in-depth articles with all the gory details.  Similarly, the Tech Support
team should direct attention when appropriate upon the Documentation teams
efforts.  I think these team have a lot to gain and little to lose by
being at least partly integrated.
  True, this is probably a rather extreme view on the way these should be
tied together.  But extreme ideas are the best, since they cause the most
violent agreements of disagreements.  When the dust settles on this, we'll
know we've got a good arrangement.

2) Perhaps ditto on PR and Publications.

CAEVET: I'm not saying that I necessarily believe we SHOULD do either of
these, just that they're options available.

That said, count on me dipping my fingers into at least documentation, PR,
and tech support.

|       FreeBSD; the way computers were meant to be       |
* "The only reason I'm burning my candle at both ends, is *
| that I haven't figured out how to light the middle yet."|
*    fullermd@futuresouth.com      :-}  MAtthew Fuller    *
|      http://keystone.westminster.edu/~fullermd          |