Date:      Wed, 01 May 1996 23:18:38 -0700
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org>
To:        "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@area238.residence.gatech.edu>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: stable / Adaptec 2842 question..

>	I upgraded to the most recent version of the Adaptec driver on
>Monday (4/29/96).  Things are much more stable now.  (Thanks Justin!)
>Before the upgrade, I couldn't get through a full cvs update i.e.:
>cd /usr/src
>cvs update -rRELENG_2_1_0
>(btw - is the -r necessary?)
>
>	It would bomb every time trying to update sys/i386/isa/sound.  I'm
>not sure whether it was just a certain series of conditions that would make
>it barf there, or if it's a bad spot on the disk, or what, but every time
>the cvs update would get there, the machine would hang, then crash.  When I
>did get a crash dump, it would crash inside the adaptec driver, I think
>inside ahc_timeout() or something.
>	Now, when I do the same cvs update operation, the machine doesn't
>crash when it gets to /usr/src/sys/i386/isa/sound.  :)  It just resets the
>SCSI bus!?  All of the pending disk operations continue, though, after the
>bus reset.  (I haven't tried any stuff with my DAT drive at the same time,
>though, so I don't know if tape operations would get hosed.)  Is the bus
>reset supposed to happen?  Here are the kernel messages I get:

The bus reset is part of the timeout recovery code that I think I finially
have working reliably.  What shouldn't happen is the initial timeout and
I'm still investigating what could be causing this.  The Linux driver
seems to be having a much worse time of it lately with timeouts happening,
but I think this is related to those same problems.  It has something to
do with how we initialze the termination settings on the card I think.
When I find out for sure, you'll see commit mail.

>	I have options AHC_TAGENABLE in my kernel config file, do I need
>anything to do with the SCB paging?  Does it increase performance?  Would
>it prevent the SCSI bus resets?  Are the SCSI bus resets a normal thing?

Since you only have 4 SCBs, SCB paging should increase performance, but
you may want to wait another week since Satoshi has already made the
current version of the code fail using his 6 disk CCD array, and I
haven't gotten word back on the patch I sent him to correct the problem.

>	I suppose this *could* be a termination problem, or some other
>cabling problem, but I find it hard to believe that I could pound the disk
>pretty hard with things like bonnie and iozone, and do 3 compiles at a time
>without a glitch, if there is a hardware problem.  I have the Atlas drive
>on an internal ribbon cable, the cdrom and DAT drives are external.

It could also be a race condition I've added to the driver recently.
I don't know yet.

>	Anyway, this isn't a huge problem or anything.  Things are *very*
>stable here.  I can run 3 compiles, Netscape, and various other things at
>the same time, no blips, no glitches.  (I could do more with more ram.)
>Strangely enough, though, heavy cvs stuff tends to cause these resets.

But at least the driver recovers now...

--
Justin T. Gibbs
  FreeBSD: Turning PCs into workstations