Date:      Thu, 15 Jun 2000 08:06:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Ray Gilstrap <ratogi@eecs.berkeley.edu>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   apm issues (was Re: ESS 1969 sound support?)

On Wed, 14 Jun 2000, Mike Smith wrote:

: > Except for this, totally non-functional APM, and no Winmodem support, it
: > actually runs quite well on my machine (alongside Windoze and BeOS).
:
: Have we tried to resolve your APM issues yet?

Oops... sometime when I wasn't looking, the "disable" option snuck into
the "device apm0" line in the config.  (sheepish grin)  Sorry about that.

So now I can get APM status info, but suspend isn't working reliably.  I
haven't been able to completely characterize it yet, but so far symptoms
roughly are that suspend works sometimes from the console, and never from
X.  When it doesn't work, `zzz` causes the screen to go dark, though the
disk still spins, the status LCD still says the machine is on, and it
becomes non responsive to keypresses (including the power key) and pings.
Hard reboot is necessary, with the usual subsequent complaints from fsck.

Also, pressing the power key while the machine is awake (which in Windows
induces hibernation) causes a spectacular "meltdown" of the display in
which everything fades to white over the course of 2-3 seconds.  Again,
the machine stops listening to the keyboard/trackpad and ping.

Any ideas?

Thanks...
Ray