Date:      Thu, 05 Sep 1996 22:36:47 +0200
From:      "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@freebsd.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        sja@tekla.fi, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Latest Current build failure

Hi, Reference:

-
> > no problem !
>
> You are missing the forest for the trees.
>
> Please replace "cvsups" with "somehow obtains".

Oh certainly :-)

> The point of the
> suggestion was to externalize the "it's good" token from the tree
> representation.
>
> Other than adding that I'd like to see the "it's good" token checked into
> the tree somewhere as well so there is an "it's good" history (the token
> approach relies on the idea that the tree itself does not have to be
> kept "good"), I have to agree that this is a workable, if suboptimal,
> fix for the problem.

Checking in would require the build host to run an automatic periodic
rsh cvs commit on the CVS host (freefall), I don't know how the powers
that be would regard that, but it'd be nice to be able to be able
to do a local cvs extract, based on info from an auto. maintained result
token file.

It seemed Jordan wouldn't find it a problem to find an extra host, at WC,
unless I misunderstood; if so I guess it `just' remains to find
a volunteer to start config'ing an auto cron driven rebuild host .... :-)
Though of course the protoyping could be done anywhere with 2 machines,
on or off the net.

Maybe somebody wants to add this idea to the list of projects awaiting
manpower (or womanpower :-) ?

Julian
--
Julian H. Stacey	jhs@freebsd.org  	http://www.freebsd.org/~jhs/