Date:      Mon, 3 Apr 95 16:33:29 MDT
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        peter@bonkers.taronga.com (Peter da Silva)
Cc:        PVinci@ix.netcom.com, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: large filesystems/multiple disks [RAID]

> You only have two drives. Why would you span? I wouldn't. I'd do this:
>
> Make a new, bigger /home on the new drive.
> Move home over. Use the old /home to increase the size of /usr.
> Add a new swap partition.
> Now you have the same sized partitions as you did with striping, without
> the risks.
>
> The only reason I can see for having multiple partitions on the same striped
> drives is stupidity. Your scenario above is an example.

I agree; that's my argument, too.  The risks are higher is what I
was positing.

> > Spanning is simply a tools for easing the administrative burden;
>
> Sounds like you added to it. You had to set up the drives spanned, and do
> a tape restore of every file system. I only had to do a tape restore of
> /usr... I copied /home right over.

I was lazy, and I got away without the copy/restore/slice_move.

> > Now it has grown, but I am on a research grant, and thus on a limited
> > bugdet.
> > So I can't run out and buy a 4G drive as a replacement.
> > So I buy a 2G drive and "add" it to my HGP database partition.
>
> That's fine. But now you're not running multiple partitions over the
> two drives. If possible, what I'd do would be to use the 2GB for the file
> systems and give the database the whole 3GB one.

No 3G drive -- just the original 2G and a new 2G drive, with the need
to store a contiguous 3G dataset.

But, again, the risk is increased by the spanning, which was the point
of the post... that spanning is nearly useless without additional
support changes to increase reliability.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---
or previous employers.