Date:      27 Oct 2000 22:56:45 -0000
From:      "Giorgos Keramidas" <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        chromexa@ovis.net, kdavey@gus33.homeip.net
Cc:        ellen_venable@yahoo.com, freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG, timcm@umich.edu, vcardona@home.com, xep@pvorus.logy.org
Subject:   Re: FW: My Experience With FreeBSD

Keith Davey apparently said:

| Personaly I do not feel like getting invited to creat my new AOL or
| MSN account every time I start my system.  Much rather install a base
| system and know what I got and where.  However this trend seems to
| be dieing do to the factthat venders like Dell no longer ship the
| original OEM disk from Microsoft, but a "Recovery" disk that contains
| the Win98 CABS.  Boot this baby and the firstthing you see is "Join
| AOL now!"  I guess that is what happens when you dumb down computers
| enough.

Well, most vendors do ship a disk as you have noted.  The CABs of
Windows included, but when I booted an IBM PC and saw the installation
of Win98 quickly run through the entire thing without letting me choose
*a* *single* option, I simply freaked out, threw the darn disk away and
installed Windows from an old copy of an OEM disk.

This lack of 'option', i.e. having IBM choose what I should install
and what not, is something that scares the hell out of me.  There are
others, though, that find this cute and, believe it or not, they really
like it.

A sad thing, but it seems that the average IQ of users drops, or
companies like to think that this is what happens.  But if you treat
someone like an idiot for a while, he will quite likely start behaving
like one, real soon :(

- giorgos