Date:      Thu, 6 Jun 2002 23:54:17 +0100
From:      "Howard Jones" <howie@thingy.com>
To:        <freebsd-small@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Console Graphics?

Does anyone have any experience of using console (non-X) graphics libraries
with Pico/FreeBSD?

I have a DoM-booting FreeBSD system that I'd like to be able to run
graphical apps on without having X - I'm thinking about kiosk-style stuff,
although this is a personal project (diskless settop box for my TV).
Ideally, I'd also be able to get something like a VNC or RDP viewer for that
library, so that the system can pretend to be a windows box, too.

All the things I've found so far are either really old (poor modern drivers)
or really new (half finished). What do other people use? GGI? SVGAlib?
something else?

Thanks for any pointers,

Howie

[Actually, if anyone *is* doing kiosk-type stuff with PC hardware driving
regular TV monitors, I'd love to know what video cards you're using - I've
yet to find a video card that can produce output anything like as sharp,
crisp and non-shimmery as my Playstation 2 or Dreamcast, for sensible
money.]