Date:      Mon, 13 May 1996 14:00:07 -0700
From:      Jason Fesler <jfesler@calweb.com>
To:        Stephen Fisher <lithium@cia-g.com>
Cc:        Patrick Ferguson <patrick@chloe.dmv.com>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG, Bruce Bauman <boot@mosquito.com>
Subject:   Re: POP timeout

At 02:53 PM 5/13/96 -0600, Stephen Fisher wrote:
>Hmmm.. how do other popd's handle large mailboxes without problems, or do
>they?

I'm not even aware of other popd's other than the standard popper (now
qpopper) sources.  Faster machines can handle larger boxes; likewise, tollerance
of the mail client (in there preferences on how long to wait) can affect how
big the mailbox can get before there's a problem..

I have heard of pop/smtp-only servers, but they were running NT.  I've
never seen anything really optimal under Unix geared for the more demanding
mail environments of some of our users.  [We _are_ alpha testing the one
I wrote now with a select group of people on our own system, with good luck
so far, but we still have some technical/political hurdles to jump over, ie
mail forwarding on a box that won't/can't see people's home directories and
.forward files..]
--
  Jason Fesler                            jfesler@calweb.com
  Admin, CalWeb Internet Services          jfroot@calweb.com