Date:      Sun, 20 Apr 1997 13:08:56 -0700
From:      mike allison <mallison@konnections.com>
To:        The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        Joel Ray Holveck <joelh@gnu.ai.mit.edu>, chat@freebsd.org, jkh@time.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: Commercial, Non-Hacker CD Distribution - A thought

The Hermit Hacker wrote:

>         And, even then, I think a 'commercial CD release' would have to
> follow an 'OS CD release' by several weeks (months) while all the binaries
> being distributed were fully tested at that release level, and approved by
> the individual vendors...

> Marc G. Fournier

That's unrealistic for developers.  Look at the MS universe.  They work
along with major package developers so that they all hit the street
together.  You need Windows 99 becasue Lutus 1 - 2 - 3 - 99 requires
it.  And you need Lutus 99 because Lutus 98 won't run well on Win 99...
etc.

The Comm Dis must hit the street with the OS Dist.  You might say that
this will slow distribution of the OS release artificially and my
response is:  what is the real agenda?

We have Free Unix for ourselves.  We can't go on until everyone else
wants it.  Somewhere in here, the times become pregnant for an
evangelistic move to include non-hackers.  Jordan might say that isn't
until at least 3.5, you and I might say 2.3....  That's an institutional
problem for the FBSDI teams.  Eventually, though you must step away from
what's fun and useful to market expectations.  Caldera and RedHat will
eventually control Linux because they will cater to the Vendors and
still provide user products.  One free, one commercial paid license.
Slackware will continue in the hacker realm but reduced.

*BSDs are in the best position because they are controlled and stable.
But somewhere a decision point will arrive when FBSDI will have to
decide who the real customer is.... Of course FreeBSD will be a MS
trademark by then....

-Mike