Date:      Fri, 04 May 2001 02:04:29 -0000
From:      "Greg Smith" <gregsmith59@hotmail.com>
To:        ggm@apnic.net
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DELL Latitude 400 and pccard?

George,

>What do I try to clear up the mem conflicts for pcic next? I'm tempted
>to try leaving it to the kernel to find these and not wire it to 5, but

There are two memory addresses associated with pccard.  One seems to be the
address used by the controller, and the other to be the address used by an
inserted card.

/etc/rc.conf (overriding /etc/defaults/rc.conf)
pccard_mem=0xd8000

default is 0xd0000, which is great if no other devices on the PC decide to
use this memory area.  0xd8000 leaves some headroom for those other devices.
  This seems to be the controller address.

/etc/pccard.conf (overriding /etc/defaults/pccard.conf)
memory 0xdc000 64k

default is 0xd4000 96 (I just made this new value up, since the default is
0x4000 more than the previous default)  This seems to be the card address.

These are the values you have to play with.  And thankfully, you can keep
changing them without recompiling the kernel.  Although you may need to
recompile once to remove an existing "iomem" specification for pcic.

No need to change an IRQ to test this.  The values are independent.

Good luck,

Greg

P.S.  Did you try Windows yet?  That may shed some light on special memory
addresses needed.  It was what got my first FreeBSD laptop going, due to the
pccard controller using an odd port address.  At the least it will be
informative.