Date:      Thu, 19 Nov 1998 02:21:22 -0700 (MST)
From:      Doug Russell <drussell@saturn-tech.com>
To:        hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   High fidelity sound cards

Does anyone know of a sound card (supported by FreeBSD, of course) that is
"better than normal"?  i.e. Better frequency response through the audio
band, better signal:noise ratio, less static in the background, certainly
a seperate non-amplified line out, etc.

I'd like to use the best cards possible for the main stereo in the living
room, etc. in my audio server for my whole-house audio system.  Right now,
my main is an old SoundBlaster multi-CD (CT2230).  This card is mildly
nice because it has a seperate line and amplified out, but I've yet to
actually connect it to one of the "big" stereos and see about noise, etc.
Noise is always especially annoying anywhere that headphones might be
used, too.  For general purpose, I also have 5 AD1815 cards, and 2
CT-4170s (or some such number - I don't have one close).  None of these
others have working bass/treble controls, either, which is mildly annoying
as a bedroom or something is the one is where you'd actually USE those
controls.

Anyway... I remember an old PC Magazine article some years ago about the
new 16-bit sound cards of the day, and that the Turtle Beach
somethingorother had by far the best sound quality.  In fact, the response
graph was flat...  Every other card was significantly off.  Some dropped
off well over 3db, well above "regular" cutoff (20Hz, 22.1 Khz, etc.)

A few things have changed since then, no doubt, however, I have a funny
feeling that today's cheapo brand-X card probably doesn't have the hottest
sound quality, whereas I've no doubt that several of the better models are
very, very good.

So...  Does anyone have some more recent test results that could point me
to, or some specs on some possible "good" cards?

Later......						<Doug>