Date:      Sun, 11 Aug 1996 17:00:45 -0600
From:      jon@ctasim.com ("Jon Doran" )
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Irrelevant comments on cvsup

On Aug 11,  3:19pm, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> Perhaps you've just picked a poor example here, but that seems like a
> pretty whacked-out idea to me.  If you checked in code for, say, vi
> and this auto-indenter ran on it, then Keith sent you another version
> of vi and you wanted to see what had changed between the two versions,
> you'd be totally screwed.  I dunno, I'd say a feature like this would
> be like a double-edged sword with no hilt.
>
> 						Jordan
>-- End of excerpt from Jordan K. Hubbard

Not if indent was ran on both with the same setup file.  We do this at our
company without incident.  Also, there are a fair number of people who will
work with any editable/readable version of the source, so once the source
tree is cleaned up it stays that way.

I'm not suggesting this for FreeBSD, just using it to illustrate the type
of actions that people may wish to perform on checkin/checkout.

Another one is rebuilding tags :-)  I do this via cron in the middle of the
night, but would love to have things updated incrementaly.

Knowing when/what things change is important, but there are ways to make people
work hard to circumvent the system.  In general, timestamps will change
someplace.  If someone dumps code into the tree without using RCS, and then
changes the timestamps back, there are other ways of dealing with them.  A
blunt object over the head should work well.

Jon Doran