Date:      Wed, 14 Sep 2016 11:37:59 +0200
From:      Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@rocketmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Best kind of hard drive for heavy use?

On Wed, 14 Sep 2016 10:35:42 +0200, Andrea Venturoli wrote:
>Can you provide a pointer?
>Thanks.

Yes, get in contact with WD support, they could explain you the whole
situation.

>As I said, I had disabled spin down.

Can you provide a pointer?
Thanks, since it's very unlikely, most likely is that you just increased
the time, before the drive goes to sleep, but you still run gvfs and/or
KDE apps such as K3b and or smartd and/or you are using udisks or
similar to mounted instead of mounting by CLI or e.g. using rodent
and/or you used libfm, before the bug was fixed,
https://github.com/lxde/libfm/commit/994a1e25ba0c3da80575fc002af17ab02ed5998b
etc..

I don't want to discuss this anymore. The above coder was the only one
who was willing to fix the bug for his software, all other developers
spread FUD as yours.

Again, get in contact with WD support. If you still should own a WD
green drive, use smartctl to check the spin down and up cycles and
banish all the above mentioned and similar apps.

If something still was wrong with old WD green drives, then at least
they are not broken anymore since around 4 years, since my WD green
drive works around 4 years without issues, but as already pointed out,
if it goes to sleep, no software wakes up the drive without a reason,
this means I don't have gvfs installed, I don't launch K3b, I mount by
CLI, I don't run smartd, I check the cycles from time to time and if
the drive should start spinning again, I check what software does cause
this issue and file a back against this software, so for libfm, used by
lxpanel it was fixed.

Apart from this, if a green drive is unwanted, then don't use one. The
internal drives of my tower PC aren't WD green drives, they are SAMSUNG
SpinPoints.