Date:      Tue, 21 Mar 2000 08:44:55 +0100
From:      Harold Gutch <logix@foobar.franken.de>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG, jlemon@flugsvamp.com
Subject:   Re: booting 3.x from CD?

On Mon, Mar 20, 2000 at 05:05:31PM -0800, Mike Smith wrote:

> > This is the commit that broke things for me.  A kernel built from
> > the sources just before it boots, a kernel built from the sources
> > right after it "freezes" at the point above.
>
> Which one of the points above?

Sorry for being unclear.
A 4.0 GENERIC-kernel built from the sourcetree as of June 1st
(after the commit I mentioned in my last mail) freezes just after
printing out the "Timecounter"-message I quoted above.
Note that I have _not_ tried a non-GENERIC kernel, but since
GENERIC failed repeatedly on me after the commit and since it
worked flawlessly before the commit I guessed that this would be
sufficient.  I'll try compiling an own kernel with only the
mostly needed options compiled in later on today.

I'll try connecting a serial console to the notebook later on
today when I have the time, perhaps that will help me somehow...

Since the problem somehow seems related to VM86, I'll build a few
test-kernels from long before June 1st with and without VM86 enabled
and see if they both work.

> > I have absolutely no idea how to debug the problem I described
> > above, as not even setting "boot_ddb" managed to break into a
> > debugger where I would be able to at least try to have a closer
> > look at this problem.
> > Does somebody have any ideas what I could try out?
>
> Sounds like you've got BIOS problems.  Look for an upgrade from your
> vendor, and then start breaking down the kernel boot process to see if
> you can find where exactly it's hanging up.

If I get you right, you're saying that these two things (the
freeze and the unability to boot directly into DDB) are
unrelated?  OK, I'll check for BIOS updates and see if that at
least fixes that one problem.

bye,
  Harold

--
Someone should do a study to find out how many human life spans have
been lost waiting for NT to reboot.