Date:      Mon, 10 Jul 2000 22:16:37 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@cup.hp.com>, stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP! Always use the 'make buildkernel' target to make yer kernels

On Tue, 11 Jul 2000, Greg Lehey wrote:

> On Monday, 10 July 2000 at 22:04:58 -0700, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> > On Mon, 10 Jul 2000, Marcel Moolenaar wrote:
> >
> >> I think the buildkernel and installkernel have been "promoted" to a
> >> function they are not designed for. I don't think these targets are fit
> >> to be "the only supported" targets and should not be advocated nor
> >> evaluated as such.
> >
> > Perhaps you and Greg would like to take over the role of answering all
> > support questions of the form "my kernel doesn't build after I updated my
> > sources"? Didn't think so.
>
> Why not?

Well, I didn't see you very active with the 20-odd people who posted the
same build error this time around. And I think it makes much more sense to
teach people to use a tool which won't have dependency problems in the
first place than to catch them all individually once they've tried what
they knew and failed, and resorted to asking for help. But if you're going
to make a commitment to answer each and every one of them every time this
problem recurs, on every support forum, then I suppose it amounts to more
or less the same thing in the end.

Kris