Date:      Sat, 26 Jan 2002 14:40:41 EST
From:      TD790@aol.com
To:        burnscharlesn@hotmail.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 64-bit PCI mobos

In a message dated 01/26/2002 1:28:29 PM Eastern Standard Time,
burnscharlesn@hotmail.com writes:

> We already, in this thread, have 2 noted "flaws" in MBs from a single
>  >company
>  >(not random occurances, but known and similar design problems), yet you'll
>  >argue (with no technical understanding of the subject) that there are no
>  >problems because you  havent experienced them. Why?
>
>  You might want to read the post before criticizing it. Note that I simply
>  pointed out nonchalantly that I had personally had no such problems, and
did

>  not use that as a case against the flaws that may be present in certain
Tyan

>  boards. You might also notice that even without that comment I made no
case
>  against the two flaws, rather I stated that 150W PSs were a bit on the
>  minimal side and that if the Tyan boards do malfunction in humid
conditions
>  that such a flaw would certainly be substantial.
>  In general, it is not good netiquette to be condescending without
>  provocation, but I did not the '@aol.com' attached to the email address,
so
>  I will not take it personally.
>  Anyway, you might also notice that there was nothing mentioned about the
>  systems being in 1U chassis. Most *U chassis are generally servers anyway
>  and I rarely see a PS of less than 200-240W even in 1U...note that I did
not

>  say that it there are no such 1U power supplies..., and the fact that *U
>  chassis are generally servers (as most desktop systems are not
>  rack-mounted). It is uncommon to see an i810 or i815 system being used as
>  servers because the chipsets are definitely not designed as such, the i810
>  being a low end consumer-grade chipset and the i815 not even being able to
>  use more than 2 PC133 modules without going outside the specs. (It also
has
>  some problems using USB mice in certain situations).

Who said anything about servers?

apologies if they are warranted, but your implication that it might be
acceptable for a MB to spontaneosly reboot with a 180W P/S that is spec'd at
less than 150 was so ridiculous that It needed to be quashed.

Anyway, eat the poison berries if you'd like. Those that care  have the info
they need.

DB