Date:      Thu, 7 Dec 2000 17:55:30 -0500
From:      Christopher Masto <chris@netmonger.net>
To:        Charlie Root <eculp@MexComUSA.Net>, Doug Ambrisko <ambrisko@whistle.com>
Cc:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>, Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>, Sascha Luck <sascha@genesiseurope.net>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Lucent Orinoco Gold PCCard?

On Wed, Dec 06, 2000 at 07:23:40PM -0800, Charlie Root wrote:
> There is definately a trend to lower prices.  I just found this.  A
> new intel Intel PRO/Wireless 2011 LAN access point and two pcmcia
> cards for $699.  The access point sounds interesting.  I personally
> would like to use it as a repeater and network bridge.

I am told that the Apple "AirPort Base Station", which is $399, works
well and can be configured with the Java-based thing in the ports
collection.  I am further told that the Lucent/ORiNOCO RG-1000 base
station is virtually identical, although more expensive and somehow
inferior, although I don't understand the exact inferiorities.

I am thinking of getting one of these things, despite my strong desire
to avoid owning such a stupid looking piece of hardware.
--
Christopher Masto         Senior Network Monkey      NetMonger Communications
chris@netmonger.net        info@netmonger.net        http://www.netmonger.net

Free yourself, free your machine, free the daemon -- http://www.freebsd.org/