Date:      Tue, 30 Jul 2002 19:25:44 -0300
From:      Mario Sergio Fujikawa Ferreira <lioux@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        lauri@kde.org
Subject:   Docbook .dsl help

Hi,

	I am writing some sgml docs to help ppl track what I am
doing about bugs in some of my ports. Some of them are pretty nasty.
This is good because it will allow ppl to help me track them down
as well.

	I added just one port so that I could define how the template
for these pages would be. I wrote some dsl code but I am stuck with
some stuff I would like. I am not even sure it is possible to do.

	I apologize if I plagiarized the FreeBSD style for the pages
but I am working on other matters. Besides, this is all FreeBSD
work.  However, I don't mind placing disclaimers crediting anyone,
just let me know.

- page currently being generated
http://people.freebsd.org/~lioux/pending-ports/

- page with style I want
http://people.freebsd.org/~lioux/pending-ports.WANT/

	I had a lot of things I wanted to change but I
caved for 3 things. Check differences between these 2 pages

http://people.freebsd.org/~lioux/pending-ports/chap.id.net.dctc.html

http://people.freebsd.org/~lioux/pending-ports.WANT/chap.id.net.dctc.html

	1) Instead of "Chapter number_of_chapter", I would like to
	   get "Port". This should affect all "Chapter number_of_chapter"
	   occurences such as header of page

http://people.freebsd.org/~lioux/pending-ports.WANT/x40.html

	2) In "Table of Contents", I would like to get only
	   "number_of_section" prepended to the section titles
	   instead of getting "number_of_chapter.number_of_section".
	   How does this affect example numbering in book TOC?

	3) I would like to know if there is some sort of "don't break here
	   if possible tag". Check the TOC at

http://people.freebsd.org/~lioux/pending-ports/chap.id.net.dctc.html

http://people.freebsd.org/~lioux/pending-ports.WANT/chap.id.net.dctc.html

	   Although, I am using html-split, the 1st 4 sects are
	   listed in the same page. This is to maintain an even
	   reading flow instead of having to click->next on several
	   pages with one line texts. I want a tag that will delay
	   breaking with the following characteristics:

		i) since this is break delaying, break normally if
		we hit a physical limit such as page length (A4).
		Of course, this probably does not apply to html
		mode

		ii) delay page breaking between the tag

		<nobreak> 1st 4 sections </nobreak>

	Well, I know that some of these might be too much to ask
without writing a complete .dsl file. However, it much be possible
by doing some weird combinations of private .dsl and <book/>,
<article/>, ...  tricks which I am not aware of. I am just fiddling
around for ideas.

	My files

http://people.freebsd.org/~lioux/pending-ports/Makefile
http://people.freebsd.org/~lioux/pending-ports/book.sgml
http://people.freebsd.org/~lioux/pending-ports/bookinfo.ent
http://people.freebsd.org/~lioux/pending-ports/chapter.decl
http://people.freebsd.org/~lioux/pending-ports/chapters.ent
http://people.freebsd.org/~lioux/pending-ports/freebsd.dsl
http://people.freebsd.org/~lioux/pending-ports/legalnotice.sgml
http://people.freebsd.org/~lioux/pending-ports/local.ent
http://people.freebsd.org/~lioux/pending-ports/net.dctc/Makefile
http://people.freebsd.org/~lioux/pending-ports/net.dctc/chapter.sgml

	Let me know if you need any information. I need help so I do not
mind providing ANY information. :)
	Of course, I am open to suggestions regarding diagraming, css,
text, grammar... Anything to improve it.

	Regards,

--
Mario S F Ferreira - DF - Brazil - "I guess this is a signature."
Computer Science Undergraduate | FreeBSD Committer | CS Developer