Date:      Mon, 01 Feb 2010 14:53:55 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Leslie Jensen <leslie@eskk.nu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: A question on syntax in /etc/login.conf

--=-=-=

<#secure method=pgpmime mode=sign>

On Mon, 01 Feb 2010 12:16:06 +0000, Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk> wrote:
> Probably the latter.  The '|' symbol is used when there are several
> alternative names for the same object -- this is not used much in
> /etc/login.conf, unlike /etc/termcap.  By convention, the last name in
> a list of alternates like this is a comment rather than a tag for
> actual use.  See getcap(3) for details.
>
> The first entry is syntactically correct -- 'accounts_title' would be
> a boolean value (set to true if present, false if absent) -- but the
> login.conf man page knows nothing of 'accounts_title' and it's a funny
> name for a boolean. So I guess that's likely to be a typo in the
> handbook.

Yes, this is a typo in the Handbook.  I just committed a fix for the
typo in revision 1.132 of doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/l10n/chapter.sgml

  ----------------------------
  revision 1.132
  date: 2010/02/01 12:52:51;  author: keramida;  state: Exp;  lines: +2 -2
  Fix typo in login.conf example.  The aliases for login.conf entries are
  separated by the main name with a pipe '|', and there is no support for
  an "accounts_type" key in the database.  Use a whitespace-separated name
  in the example, to indicate that it's ok to have spaces in login.conf
  entry aliases.

  Noticed by:     Leslie Jensen, leslie at eskk.nu,
                  Matthew Seaman, m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk

Thanks for bringing this to our attention :)

--=-=-=

--=-=-=--