Date:      Tue, 22 Jul 1997 19:34:38 +1000 (EST)
From:      Rob Secombe <robseco@wizard.teksupport.net.au>
To:        randyk@ccsales.com
Cc:        isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ANALOG MODEM CHASSIS

At 18:48 21-07-97 -0700, you wrote:
>Here's what I want:
>
>I've got a Livingston 2E-10 (it's got 10 serial ports).
>I want a modem rack (8 modems is fine) which has a single power source,
>possibly redundant power, perhaps not.
>

>What I really wanted was a solution that allowed for 8 analog modems
>that can be remotely reset and had a single power source. I wanted to be
>able to authenticate dialups through RADIUS. The 2E-10 works like a rock
>but I have these single external modems that I'm getting just sick of...
>

>Any suggestions???
>
>Thanx,
>Randy Katz

Hi,

We currently use a rack mount system made here in Australia by Vortex. They
are Rockwell based and will take up to 16 modems in a 3RU box. They use one
switchmode power supply for each bank of eight modems. We are 240 VAC down
here so I am making a rash assumption that they are auto/jumper/switchable
for 110 VAC. We have found them extremely reliable and reasonably priced.
One other bonus is that they are remote resetable by dropping DTR for 30
seconds.

I dont know if it is viable to import them from Australia but if you are
interested check out their website at http://www.vcc.com.au/

Cheers

Rob Secombe

Teksupport Pty. Ltd.