Date:      Mon, 7 Nov 2016 08:49:40 -0200
From:      Marcel Bonnet <marcelbonnet@gmail.com>
To:        Matt Olander <matt@ixsystems.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD multimedia <freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Jack'd Up MIDI

On 5 November 2016 at 12:18, Matt Olander <matt@ixsystems.com> wrote:

> My question is...how in the heck do I use it? Docs seem scarce for midi on FreeBSD (or ancient), so I'm hoping that it's something silly that I missed/skipped or overlooked.
>
> When I plug it in:
> ugen0.16: <AKAI PROFESSIONAL,LP> at usbus0
> uaudio3: <AKAI PROFESSIONAL,LP MPK mini, class 0/0, rev 1.10/1.00, addr 17> on usbus0
> uaudio3: No playback.
> uaudio3: No recording.
> uaudio3: MIDI sequencer.
> uaudio3: No HID volume keys found.
>
> ..and a /dev/umidi3.0 device appears (yay!?). I think my Akai APC40 board is on umidi2.0.

Hi, folks.

Dear Matt, another user, with the same MIDI Controller contact me in
private last month. He got it working, then I compiled the experience
in a thread (FreeBSD Forums)  :
https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/58151/ , if you are interested.
Hope it is accurate, I tried to explain how this works in FreeBSD, and
pointed how to do it; suggesting some MIDI apps to play.

Cheers,

--
Marcel Bonnet
github.com/marcelbonnet/